Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Celebrations and a tutorial...........

Hello All,

It was in late 2012 that I picked up a 1/16 inch punch (I just can't remember why!!!) and was fiddling about with it. Something clicked somewhere in my brain and a jhumka resulted from it. I was very lucky that one of my friends was travelling from USA and she brought that punch for me, but I also knew that it was a speciality tool. By extension, it was expensive! I used it, I recommended it, but I knew it in the heart of my hearts that I was dependent. Dependent on a tool and dependent on my dependence.......

For almost 3.5 years, I've made jhumkas using that technique, but I never stopped wondering how to overcome this dependence. And sometimes, lack of sleep fires my brain up. Today was one such day! Having been thinking about this since Friday or so, the idea finally struck and I set about to work on it. It is an elegant (and cheap) solution, I wonder why it took me forever to come up with it!



So, over to the tutorial:

List of materials:

4 mm jump rings (kindly contact A1 Craft supply for the same)

I tried with smaller and bigger ones, but 4 mm works and looks best. 5 mm is too big to look at. And 3 mm too small to handle while working.

Fevicryl Fabric Glue

This works well enough and is cheaply (and easily) available across the country. I also did an experiment with B6000/E6000 (kindly contact A1 Craft supply for the same). The side effects of the super glue? Expensive, not very healthy to handle (SPECIAL NO NO to pregnant and lactating women and children) and takes time to set. Advantage: The glue is strong and dries transparent.

Prepared quilled dome (I've used a 5 mm strips dome, feel free to experiment)

Paint of your choice

Ghunghroo wire (A1 Craft Supply please)

Beads for ghunghroos (according to your colour scheme and preference)

The steps are illustrated in the series of images below:





The glue can take anything from 4-8 hours to dry completely, please let it dry before you handle the jump rings. Otherwise, they will come off (and they did when I made an attempt).......


Finished look of the dome. Now, go ahead, colour, embellish, paint................unleash your creativity


Paint the inside neatly



Do the waterproofing and Voila! You're DONE! [For waterproofing aids, please ping A1 Craft Supply, they'll help you out]


Add ghunghroos and you'll have a jhumka that looks almost like clay :)

A strong word of warning against people who want to walk away with the credit for a lot of things that began at Art'zire, a tweak or two in our technique is STILL derivative work. If you're a true crafter, you'd much rather think on your own. And certainly, won't come to us and blame us of copying your work (which you derived from ours, in the first place). We strongly condemn such underhanded tactics and would pray that God grants you some integrity!


On a lighter note: here is the evolution of the paper jhumka :)

October 25, 2012 :)



June 19, 2015



June 7, 2016





Happy Quilling

Pritesh

PS: If my posts inspire you to create something on similar lines, I feel highly flattered. But please, do respect the effort I take in conceptualizing and executing, please give a direct link to my work when you are inspired by mine. Thanks for understanding........:-)

18 comments:

Dr.Marteena said...

Awesum tutorial !! Truely u r an inspiration fr beginners lyk me !! Waiting fr ur workshop in chennai!!

Unknown said...

Wowww its really awesome. Kudos to the hardworking artzire team for all work u have done till date.

Shirley V said...

I had a punch tool, but the punches are big than this. Still this is a great idea!! I wanna try this, When i make, i would love to link to this post!! I too wanna join the workshop in Chennai :)

Unknown said...

Awesome tutorial... Great work wth great effort

Eliza Art said...

Beautiful, very, very!!!

Unknown said...

Amazing..!! Thank u so much for the effort u take for us ppl so that we can learn. You are a cherished mentor..

Tanu said...

Wow. Surely it's tool independent idea ��. Would love to give it a try. Thanks for tutorial

Divya N said...

Its a great idea - thanks for sharing

Divleen said...

Great work .

Unknown said...

aWEsOME... tHANk yOu PrIteSH... GreAT iDEa... :)

aparna said...

its very useful. thank you.

Unknown said...

Wow...!!! What an awesome idea madamji..... Thanks for sharing it with all of us...You are truely a great artist... Hats off...

Amrutha said...

Thanks a lot for such ideas. Beginners like us seek inspiration from you. We can never match up tp your level. We would be happy to create something on our own based on the learnings that you post on your page.
I dedicate whatever that I make to you because my learnings started from your blog and your videos. Thanks a ton for supporting all the learners out there.

Amrutha said...

Another thing I would like to add is that I tried using a punch tool for 10mm jhumkas but they wont fit. Finally gave up on it

Pritesh Dagur said...

It works, very much Amrutha. We have tried it. Just that the neatness of this method is incomparable

Unknown said...

Thanks a lot. For a beginner without expensive tools, this was a super awsome idea. I wanted to hang latkans onto my quilled jhumkas, and had tried most of the ways yo punch holes without the punch, with zero success. This has come to me just at the right time

soumya said...

How many strips you have used it

Unknown said...

Same colour of dress i am having can I make it for self use.Thank you.