Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Making paper quilled/punch jewellery water resistant

Dear All,



I get so many queries about water-proofing paper jewellery (in spite of posting a detailed procedure in Indian Quilling Guild) that I decided to write this post. I would've loved to post a video/photo tutorial but it may have to wait a while.

For quillers in India specially, things like Diamond Glaze are not easy to come by. So, here goes the process (specific to materials available in India, I'm sure quillers in other countries will be able to find analogues easily).

Step 1: Making the jewellery itself. It is an important step for making jewellery sturdy. You'll need to use your judgement in gauging whether the piece is sturdy. I am hopelessly obsessed with the jewellery being able to withstand stress (like my son pulling at my earrings). Make the piece "sturdy" before you think of water-proofing.

Step 2: Give a coating of a "water-soluble glue". It should at least be water soluble when wet. You can use Fevi-Gum (available for Rs. 5 in ANY stationery shop). Make sure you coat all crevices etc properly. Synthetic bristle brush works best, camel hair brush is a little difficult to handle due to variable length of the hair. Allow this to dry properly. I am biased towards Fevicryl Hobby Ideas Fabric Glue. It's more expensive but I prefer its consistency compared to Fevi-Gum (which I find more runny). But it's purely a personal preference.

Only glue coating is not likely to make the jewellery water-resistant as PVA (poly vinyl acetate) glue "swells" when in contact with water. It looks ugly to say the least, and the jewellery will be disfigured forever. Fevicryl Hobby Idea Fabric Glue however, is OK by itself. It still remains "sticky", so I won't recommend glue layer alone (unless you want all your paper jewellery to become ONE single lump, all earrings mating with each other! :D

Step 3: This is a crucial step and takes most time (not for coating, but for drying). Use a good lacquer varnish. My recommendation is Asian Paints Touch Wood. But practically any varnish should do. Again, use a synthetic brush to coat the jewellery. You WILL see some discolouration but don't worry, if you've done the glue coating properly, this discolouration usually vanishes after drying. Varnish needs overnight drying, so plan properly. If you are enthusiastic about a glossy finish, you can put 3-4 layers (which means coating them for 3-4 days). It lends a pretty (not my personal favourite still) glossy finish that is harder as well.

Please prepare properly for handling varnish (gloves if you are particular about not getting your hands smelly, I personally don't care). Work in a well ventilated (preferably with an exhaust fan) fan place. Use some organic solvent to clean the brush (kerosene works fine for me). Keep a scented hand-cream handy, you'll need it to get rid of the strong smell varnish will give to your hands. Try tying a wet cloth over your nose, organic solvents, when inhaled, are BAD for women of reproductive age (please take my word for it, I'm a PhD in Chemistry and I specifically know the side effects)......

I hope this is comprehensive enough. So, if you know someone who wants to how to make the jewellery water-resistant, please share this link. It is very difficult for me to write individually to people who ask. I end up feeling bad not replying........

For those who want images and details of the waterproofing material, here is the link

Happy jewellery making :)

Pritesh

PS: If my posts inspire you to create something on similar lines, I feel highly flattered. But please, do respect the effort I take in conceptualizing and executing, please give a direct link to my work when you are inspired by mine. Thanks for understanding........:-)

67 comments:

Rashi Bajaj said...

THANKS A LOT FOR THIS.. I WAS LOOKING FOR SOMETHING LIKE THIS (NOT FOR JEWELLERY). I MIGHT USE IT TO GIVE MY CARDS A GLOSSY TOUCH..

Jyoti Agrawal said...

Superb post . Thanks dear.

Kasia Wojtasik said...

Pritesh, thak you for your "know how"!It is very useful! But I wonder where I can find Indian glues and varnishes :) or how to find any other appropriate things :)

Dr Sonia S V said...

What an awesome post Pritesh!!

Shalaka said...

Thanks Pritesh....thats wonderful piece of knowledge for all quillers.
Take care
Shalaka
http://therisingshinecreations.blogspot.com/

Artes de Nágela said...

Dear Pritesh,
Very informative.
Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.
Hugs!

Bhavana said...

such a informative post... thanks for sharing pritesh.

Giftarts said...

thanks pritesh.. very informative and helpful and that to at the right time....

Shylaashree said...

Thank you pritesh for experimenting and giving the results to us.you are such a sweetheart for sharing the info.

Unknown said...

Great post, Pritesh. Your generosity in sharing info combined with your latent talents and creativity distinguish you from the rest.

Unknown said...

Help me understand. You cover the entire earing in fabric glue? and its after you've attached the hook, right?

quilled paper paradise said...

Big THANKS! :)

sathya said...

Excellent Post pritesh.

Inna D. said...

Thank you very much, Pritesh!

Tee said...

Thanks so much for this post...I get a lot of queries for using glue and gloss...but now that its out of production, I had no answers...I'll pass on this link to everyone who asks me...
Thank you again!
Hugs
Tejal

Manu Gupta said...

M a regular visitor now.. ur creations are lovely.. and u inspire me !!!

Szalonaisa said...

Thanks for shearing!

Hima Bindhu said...

Thank you very much Pritesh. It was very very useful to me. You have posted about this at very right time :)

Jewelry appraisal Tampa said...

I really liked it.

Shweta said...

Doesn't the earring smell of varnish? How do you get rid of the polish smell? Does it fade away?

Dipali said...

Thankyou for sharing!

Anonymous said...

hi,

wat if i have diamond glaze....is that coating enof or i still need to follower all these procedures

Unknown said...

Great knowledge in the post about quoting about water resistance
Sofia James

ulka said...

this is very informative post.can we use a lacquer spray for painting?What are the precautions we should take?






Anonymous said...

Great tip !

Exactly which varnish should be used ? Asian Paints Touchwood Interior or Exterior ?

- Priya

Pritesh Dagur said...

Priya, I use the one which comes in turquoise colour packaging......

kunda said...

Thanks a lot Pritesh...this was very informative

Swetha Reddy said...

Lovely article Pritesh. Are you planning to make a video of this?

Thanks
Swetha

Srividhya Lalitha Srinivasan said...

Awesomatic!! Tried it!!! Perfect tutorial! THanks a ton for this!! :D

maahi vasani said...

Instead of varnish is there any spray which I can use. N no then coating with fabric glue should be done completely or on joints only? N the glue we should use directly or should we make it thin first using water. Please reply soon

monil said...

hey! thanx 4 d post. was really looking 4 something like this. just a question. does the product become hard after application of the varnish?? n ya i luv ur creations...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lija said...

I am a regular visitor and your tutorials are very much help for me as I am new to the art of Quilling. 1) Have you tried spraying the varnish?
2) Can you please update this page by adding a photo of the asian paint touchwood varnish?
3) Do you use any thinner with it?

Regards,
Lija

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Priyanjana said...

Really needed to know how to do this!

Varnishes for wood has to be used??

http://moonshineandsunlight.blogspot.in/

Mou Das said...

Very useful blog by you on Water Resistant Jewelry. It seems you are a real thinker and this great article content shows much resemblance to your thought cycle over significance of this topic. It contains several of the strong points which are unique and highly increase the value of this article to all its readers.

jhumka earrings online

Monica Gurnani said...

Loved this post. Thanks from an indian quiller of level zero :D :)

Manisha said...

This info is very useful.... thanks a lot :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you Very much

Latha said...

thanks for information it is very useful
one doubt do we need to add thinner to varnish?

Unknown said...

Hello.. the varnish smell is still with the ear rings... what to do to avoid the smell

Unknown said...

What to use to stick stud base

Unknown said...

What to use to stick stud base

Anonymous said...

Great work...

I have a small question. Is this the gule you are referring to Fevicryl hobby ideas fabric glue ? Link below.

http://www.craftgully.com/fv046-fevicryl-hobby-ideas-no-stitch-fabric-glue-30ml


Please advise...

Anonymous said...

Great work...

I have a small question. Is this the gule you are referring to Fevicryl hobby ideas fabric glue ? Link below.

http://www.craftgully.com/fv046-fevicryl-hobby-ideas-no-stitch-fabric-glue-30ml


Please advise...

ramyasblog said...

Thnks for such an informative post ...:)

Anonymous said...

Hi mam
Thanks a lot for information...,it was very helpful...but mam i want to ask how to clean our hands after varnishing,i mean with any particular product..and why wet cloth is recommended..mam after tying cloth too some smell is inhaled..

Anonymous said...

Goodmorning mam.
Thanks a lot for helpful post.mam want to ask after wearing mask too some varnish smell is inhaled...is dere anything that can be done..and which thing the hand should be washed. Thanking suja

Grace said...

Such a nice post Pritesh :)..ur blog is very informative and i really enjoyed it..i have always wondered about the safety of using varnish turpentine etc, and now u have mentioned it too..would a well ventilated space and covering nose with wet cloth be safety enough?

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot Pritesh though I am not into qulling I am undertaking a project involving paper which I would like to deliver with a gloss finish and a sturdy feel.
Thanks a ton
Regards
Kalpana

radharocks said...

Thanks a lot for sharing this useful post.......information was very useful......and also i hav one question is the fiskar hole punch available in chennai if yes means where pls rly for tis.........

Navodovo said...

This is exactly what I was looking for. I am beginning with quilling jewelry and I need to make them water resistant and durable. Thank you very much.

Unknown said...

Hi,

it leaves an yellow color when varnish is applied. I use nippon wood varnish. i also applied white glue before applying varnish.Especially in white earring it shows the yellowness

Dipta Das said...

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation. I just need to know how to omit the smell of varnish. It gives a semi-kerosene smell. Please update me if possible.

Thank You

Lalithaa Jewellery said...

Very nice I like a lot kiran kumar lalithaa jewellery

Ramz said...

Hello everyone,
Surprised to visit this awesome blog , as we share the same name and interest.

I make special customized quilled jewellery on order and also own an online store.
Please do visit for online shopping and email for bulk orders to riyanair17@gmail.com
http://www.craftsvilla.com/ramycollection

Unknown said...

Thanks for ur valuable tips.....very very useful n I might use it for my paper willing work ...can u tell me abt lacquer spray ...that's available in d market ...will it b good to use on quilling



.

Anonymous said...

Hi protest,

I need your help, is that safe to use varnish during pregnancy by wearing wet cloth? I just read that it's not safe but the risk is minimal, however I would like to know your expertise. Thanks a ton in advance

striker said...

For superior shiny finish over quilled jewellery I used and recommend the QUILLING GLAZE BY S.S QUILLING SUPPLY found on Facebook .very professional finish .

Unknown said...

Hi Pritesh, try to make a video presentation, it looks more awesome, any way thanks for your very informative blog. Jewellery making ideas

Anonymous said...

Thank you 😊

swathi said...

Hi, my stud bases are falling of when I am taking from ears, though it is droed completely. Can u plz suggest what glue to use and how to stick strongly.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pritesh. ..thank you for your information. Actually I have used the pearl clear varnish on my quilled earrings. But the problem is that the area above the border where I fixed beads shows discolouration because of the glue.Will it be back to normal when it dries?please reply.

Pritesh Dagur said...

This is where the difference between good and bad quality jewellery supplies comes into play. Use good quality metallic supplies (as opposed to casting). Casting findings always discolour when in contact with varnishes

Anonymous said...

HELLO. ..where can I get quilling shiner? If you know about it,please share the information with me.

Unknown said...

I am unable to read articles online very often, but I’m glad I did today. It is a nicely informative article in fashion, traditional & costume jewelry ranges, I have ever read. Thank you.